Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny.
—attr. C. S. Lewis
- It sounds suspicious to me, but by now my ear is so cynical that nearly everything sounds suspicious, so I kept looking, especially because it’s not horribly suspicious.
- A Google Web search turned up all the popular quotations web sites. Bah, humbug.
- Wikiquote has it in the “Unsourced” category on the discussion page.
- Google Books found it in secondary sources, one of which even gives a footnote. Alas, the footnote isn’t included in the preview. Since I can’t find a primary source, I’m suspecting the footnote refers to a secondary source.
- Google Books does have most (probably all) of Lewis’s works available. I tested by feeding it several CSL quotations known to be authentic, and it found them in primary sources. It doesn’t find the quotation in question.